Ghost Tour groups operating in San Diego, California.
One of the most common questions I am asked is…”which Paranormal Ghost tour group in San Diego, California is the best? Or, which Ghost tour in San Diego, California would you suggest?”
The answer is far more complicated than the question. As a realist I have to admit than not every ghost tour is equal, and each group needs to be judged on their own merits and failures. Categories or criteria might include web presence, payment methods, price, walking tour vs. transport vehicle, haunted or paranormal locations: actual interaction with locations, equipment use, presentation of subject matter, and suspension of disbelief. I would note that ultimately every tour group participant will be the final judge of whether the tour was “worth” the time and or money.
My “Red Flags“; these are some common trends I have witnessed from paranormal tour businesses around the Nation that should cause a potential client to be wary and more cautious.
- 1. Multiple business names on rating websites like, Yelp, or white pages. — This should be cause for concern as it may be a sign that the company is trying to hide actual reviews.
- 2. Large numbers of flagged, filtered reviews on Yelp. — This should be cause for concern as the business owner may be flagging any review which is negative (always check filtered reviews).
- 3. Incomplete or non professional website. – Concern should be obvious.
- 4. Payment methods, cash only, Paypal only or NO REFUNDS. — This could be a sign business taxes are not being collected meaning the business is operating “under the table.”
- 5. Tours that operate 5-7 days a week (especially during the summer) and 2 or more times per night.– This is a big red flag that the tour is more interested in making money than sharing the rich vivid history of San Diego’s haunted locations.
- 6. Verbiage, use of keywords legitimate paranormal investigators would never subscribe too —examples, Vortexes, halo’s, etc, etc.
I will not answer the original question as too which ghost tour is the best, I leave that to each participant to decide for themselves. I would suggest doing some basic research though prior to booking any tour.
Here is a brief list I have collected which is publicly accessible online.
Haunted San Diego Ghost Tours
Ghostly Tours in History, LLC
Ghosts & Gravestones (San Diego Frightseeing Tour)
San Diego Ghost Tour – Old Towns Most Haunted
San Diego Ghost Hunters – offers paid tours to historic locations such as the Whaley house.
Free – low cost tours
San Diego Paranormal Eye SDPE – offers low to NO cost tours (by appointment and acceptance only).
NOTE: information valid only at time of publishing and subject to change without notice.